Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, April 01, 2005

All That Glitters Isn't Good Advice

Anyone who rides, loves horses or has a critter of thier own knows about the TRAINERS. The whisperers, the clinitians, these gifted horsemen and women who can do wonders with problem horses and polished performers alike and who are skilled in the art of convincing well meaning horse lovers to fork over their hard earned dough for a taste of what they do. Just the mention of some of the names; Lyons, Parelli, Hunt, Dorrance, Anderson and scads of others can strike panic into the heart of anyone who loves their horse.

"I don't do that the way so-and-so does! I must be ruining my horse!"

"I haven't bought the latest halter/round pen/saddle that such-and-such says you have to have. My poor horse!"

This trainer says to do it this way and whats-his-name said that never works. Although it worked with my horse until I found out it's never supposed to. So what now?

Of course old Blackie is standing in his pasture with burrs in his mane while his owner is in the house studying magazines, videos and catalogs hoping she never figures it out. After all, training isn't his idea.

Now I'm not saying that the trainers are wrong, or bad or even off-base. I too have been greatly impressed with what they can accomplish and a whole movement has been started to turn horses into partners rather than slaves. My problem is that I see too many people become steadfast converts to one particular person or method. Like religious fanatics they follow, copy and buy whatever is dictated.

I have found in my experience that horses are individuals. As much as people are. What works for some may not work so well for others. I have followed trainers advice on certain training principles to the letter with one horse and abondoned their ideals completely with another. And I have even gone so far as to (gasp!) make up my own ways and you know what? They worked! I have two happy healthy horses in spite of the fact that I use a mish-mash methodology.

My point is that you know your horse. You decide what you will both be comfortable with. I advocate listening to other's opinions, then forming your own. Use your own head and don't be afraid to use your own ideas! If you feel you are in over your head, by all means, seek a professional. But one thing I know. You will build a much better rapport and working relationship with your horse if you spend your time with him, instead of a stranger on a video tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home