Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Meet The Kids

When I refer to my kids one has to take into consideration the context to figure out whether I'm talking about my two daughters, or my two Paint Horses. Affectionately known as Tuff and Tickles, my thoughts revolve around them far more than anyone should admit. They were purchased "for the kids" but somewhere along the line they evolved into almost people. To me.

When asked what I do with them, I might give the same look as if I were asked that about my children. I feed them, clean up after them, play with them and love them. They also have their various jobs they are asked to do from time to time. Little Tickles is the Trainer-of-kids. Patient and gentle she yawns obnoxiously the moment a child is placed on her back, I know she can think of nothing more boring than babysitting. She babysits the foals in the spring as well and when their mothers can't stand them anymore, Tickles will always yawn and play and nuzzle them no matter how bratty. She likes babies no matter how many legs they have. She taught my little sister about barrel racing and jumping alike, only six years old she's one of those worth her weight in gold horses.

Three-year-old Tuff is personality man, pretty palomino, can't get enough attention and smart as a whip. Sometimes a little too smart. I taught him to shake hands in one afternoon then had to try to unteach him when I realized how alarming it is to someone not expecting to have the nearest horse offer his hoof each time they hold out their hand. And if Tuff is in the vicinity, he's the nearest horse.

So maybe someone out there in Blog Land will find something to appreciate in my observations of my horses and the horse industry as a whole. Hopefully I can add a little perspective for people with horse issues of their own, and for the unfortunate horseless, a glimpse of a life that revolves around the kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home