Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Animal - Rights Fighters Vs. Animal Right - Fighters




I'm gradually going through mystery boxes here at our new house, and yesterday I found some ancient back issues of my favorite, treasured Horse & Rider and Horse Illustrated magazines. I derive much of my horse-related inspiration from this and always seems to stumble upon something new.

This time was no different, as I read with both interest and chagrin an article about "animal rights." This is a subject I care about deeply. However, I use quotations around the term because at times I believe there are extremes to this philosophy that are not really applicable to the term as a whole.

As far as horses are concerned, there is a big difference between the people working to improve equine welfare, and those self-proclaimed experts who feel that riding, driving, fencing-in, shoeing, or indeed, owning a horse are unnatural and therefore constitute abuse.

These people, who apparently know better than I what's best for my animals, search for reasons to condemn horse owners for their use of techniques and behaviors necessary when dealing with horses. For example:

Using a crop, which makes a startling noise rather than inflicting any sensation of pain. This is decried as whipping - same as a long whip (which in fact never actually touches the horse).

Shoes nailed into the horse's feet, which again, does not hurt, and protects and preserves the feet. Until horses learn to tie, I'm afraid sneakers are out.

Carrying the weight of a rider, I'll admit, is unnatural and not what horses may have been designed for (although the design works quite well!). Of course, rugged SUVs (Sport Utility Vehicles) were not originally designed for soccer moms, but it turns out they've adapted quite well, and probably receive better maintenance and more conscientious care than they otherwise may have gotten.

Fencing in and feeding horses, which were meant to roam freely and graze. Give me a break! My horses recieve a better diet than they would be able to forage, as well as vet care, clean water, and shelter from storms. Do we forget about all the wild horses that starve, freeze, and fall to predators, or die from diseases or injuries that are easily treated?

Here in Idaho I'm guess I'm pretty lucky - I've never had to cross a picket line to enter a horse show or been cursed for riding my horse in public. In fact, I more often run into the "old time cowboys" who still believe in breakin' colts. To them, I am a fanatic who goes in for all that natural horsemanship hoopla. It's true, I prefer gentling instead of breaking; the so-called coddle-training. So maybe it's all relative. I just feel that one must respect horsemen (and women) who have gotten their feet wet and know firsthand about horses' needs and behaviors.

This is not to say that there are no good intentions behind the lobbyists; they just seem grossly misguided. They seem to care more about being right than about the lives of the animals they're "fighting" for. What would they suggest we do with all of the over five million domestic horses in the United States if horsekeeping were banned? Turn them out into the streets to fend for themselves?

Are my horses miserable slaves held captive for my enjoyment? I think not. At least not anymore than the family dog when walked on a leash, performing a happy trick for a doggy snack, or prevented from sniffing a neighbor's crotch. How unnatural is that?

For that matter, weren't people originally designed to live in caves or shelters made of hides, and to wear animal furs for warmth? How far would we as a spieces have gotten without the mutually beneficial partnership we formed with animals, especially the horse? That relationship led us to the incredibly unnatural existence we live today.

So, I guess it's easy to have high and mighty standards for others and their pets when you have a new car and an air-conditioned condo: please, pat yourself on the back. Go ahead and wear your polyester and spandex and bond with your Furby or Chia Pet.

But, somehow, I just don't think that's natural.

If you have an opinion about equine rights, please add your comments to this post, which is made possible by my sponsors:

You can go to the fastest growing online insurance agency to save time and money on car insurance. Get an instant quote just by entering your zip code.

Find out about an online program that interests you (even animal care!) through elearners.com, where you can take e-courses and earn a certificate or a degree without ever leaving home!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Sage said…

    You sure said it all, and just right to my way of thinking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home