Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

A Wasted Day?

So today I stepped outside to feed the animals, nursing a headcold and feeling yucky, and a little guilty. I had every intention of getting some serious riding done yesterday on account of the gorgeous weather and relatively clear schedule and yet I never did get so far as picking up a bridle. Another wasted day, I guess. But I've let good riding days go by before just playing or pampering the kids, and they don't seem to suffer from it.

The odd thing is, I boarded my horse for years, and rode almost every day. I thought when I moved them to my own back yard and saved the time and effort of driving to the barn, oh what I could accomplish! But in the 2 years I've had my kids home, I hardly ever actually ride any more. Is it because I can get my horse fix just by gazing out the window a hundred times a day? I no longer have to fit all my horse time into one trip to the barn, but can run out the door for a hug and a carrot and a quick horse game or lesson each time I have a spare few minutes.

When I do ride I've noticed that it's a more relaxing time for both of us. I take long trail rides with my husband or pop on bareback to mess around in the yard and while I'm always half focused on training, my rides have stopped being class time. I know my horses have noticed the difference because they come trotting when I call even when I'm holding a bridle instead of an apple.

So maybe I'll stop feeling guilty about 'wasting' lesson time and look forward to the next nice day. In the mean time I'm sure I can find plenty to do to keep them busy and attentive and my pants clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home