Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Worst Part of Having Pets

I had a rough day a few days ago when I walked into the garage and found one of my beloved barn cats badly hurt and bleeding. In hysterics I called my vet, then my mother to see if she could take my kids while I dealt with Winnie, and my husband who was less than sympathetic, reminding me that we had plenty of other cats.

But the fact is that we only had one Winnie. Just two days before she'd come strutting across the yard with the biggest mouse I'd ever seen. From the time she was born and our Aussie, Sadie, crawled in the box with the kittens, pretending they were hers, Winnie just loved her. You never saw Sadie outside without Winnie glued to her side, rubbing all over her. She rubbed all over everyone, loved to be in your lap, to be petted, even let my two year old daughter carry her around. Just because she was 'just' a barn cat didn't mean she wasn't special.

Well, I took her to the vet and we figured that she must have been struck by a car, her pelvis and both back legs were broken. She had enough injuries that we knew it would just be torture on her to try to save her and so I stayed with her as the vet put her down. I cried alot that day and spent alot of time back home hugging my other cats.

I would have let it rest at that probably, but as I picked my kids up that day, my mom suggested that I use my blog to vent a little bit. I'm not the only person in the world to loose a pet, after all. She was right ofcourse. I know that these things happen when you have animals, but that doesn't make it any more bearable. But by getting my thoughts out there I do feel better, like I have some closure, I just hope I don't have to use my blog for this purpose again for a long, long time.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Sage said…

    I have had to do exactly what you did. I is always a very sad time. Nothing can make it better. Yes it is better to vent but still you have to greave. So many people do say its just a cat, or dog, or horse. But they are family. They are part of me. Of us. We love them. And it is their loss that they can't understand that loss.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! It`s really great page. I`ll looked here often. I invite to my page

     

Post a Comment

<< Home