Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, May 13, 2005

April Showers Bring More Showers

The May flowers did start to poke thier little heads out up until this past week, where it did nothing but rain for six days straight. The good news is that I have plenty of water in the front pasture, the bad news is that the pasture is one big lake and I have nowhere for all that wet stuff to go.

The horses are walking mud balls and the mud is so sticky I can hardly keep my boots from getting sucked off, forget about horse shoes. We're considering ourselves lucky, though, because this past week's storms produced several funnel clouds nearby and we have no plan in place for what to do with the animals in the event of a tornado. Do you turn them loose? I think I'd rather bring them into the basement with us. We've actually already had a horse in this basement, now that I think about it. My mother in-law's almost seventeen hand gelding wandered in through the downstairs door to hang out one afternoon, but that's a different story.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to summer. The mud will be gone, so will the unpredictable weather, the horses will be clean (well, relatively) and theoretically, I'll have some extra time to ride. Though that may be wishful thinking. I have so much I want to get done, I actually have a training to-do-list for each horse and wall-to-wall mud is just not working for me. I just have to keep chanting to myself:

Rain, rain go away,
my horse and I
have plans today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home