Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Why Choose?

I have lived in the west, especially the Northwest, my whole life. Raised in California, I lived in Utah and Oregon before winding up in Idaho. This information is relevant because it helps explain why my love of riding English and jumping is regarded as exccentric at best. Here in the west we ride western. I was in college before I even saw an English saddle up close. It looked dangerous, but I tried it and was hooked. I began showing in some lower level hunter classes and I loved jumping! But once I left school, my instructor, and the atmosphere of fellow equestrians who appreciated what an English mount could offer, I returned to my western lifestyle.

Now I didn't give up on English riding and I have nothing against western, in fact, here in Idaho I often see my neighbors working thier cattle or herding sheep up the road. That would be hard to do without a free hand. Not to mention the fact that this is hard-core rodeo country and I wouldn't want to try any of those events in English tack. And I'm not encouraged to try. Just a quick jaunt down the road on my horse, which normally would warrant only a wave or nod from passers-by, can get quite a different reaction when I feel like riding English. Stares, double-takes, and even that occasional glare as though it's a personal slight that I would take the prissy Easterners' advice on how to sit a good western horse. How do I think the West was won anyway?

But I still trained Tickles to go English and she loves to jump. Of course, being a short, stocky Paint Horse, she would stick out like a sore thumb if I were to enter her in a class over fences, and I doubt anyone in that circle would appreciate her efforts. For no matter how hard she tries, she just has no real talent.

I've made myself a tiny bit of an outcast. So what will I do? Buy a leggy Thoroughbred or give up and stick to my roots?

How about neither? I'll just ride what I want, how I want. I don't really care what's geographically accepted if I and my horses enjoy it. I'm not hurting anybody and I kind of get a kick out of rocking the boat. Besides nowadays people own horses more for fun and relaxation than any other reason, if I'm having fun, why does it matter? I choose not to choose one or the other. I ride for the sake of riding, of being outside and enjoying the land and animals. Conformity is for the birds. So Giddyap and Tally-ho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home