Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Hairy Situation

Today I was daydreaming a bit as I quickly ran a brush over Tuff's sides and then moved on to Tickles. On my way back to the barn I picked up a cat for a quick rub and patted the dog on the way into the house where I did a double-take when I passed by the mirror. I looked like I had grown a fur coat!

I guess it's that time of year again. Shedding season. The days are getting longer and warmer and all the animals have let fly with loose hair. I think I could build a new cat every day with all I've collected, or save it up and make a whole horse. I wonder if there aren't places I could donate it , like Locks of Love for cancer patients, maybe there's a place for people to donate fur coats to the hairless, like Chinese Crested dogs and naked mole rats.

All I know is that hair, and lots of it, is my life this time of year. It's in the carpet, the car, and on all of our clothes. It's a challenge to avoid breathing it in when I'm petting a critter and with my horses being mostly white, it shows up on everything, there's no avoiding it.

But on the other hand, I love watching the hair gradually come off, and seeing their brightly colored summer coats make their appearance. They slowly are becoming sleek and shiny as the spring wind carries the loose hair away a little at a time for the birds to use in their nests. For better or worse shedding season is a sure sign that Spring is here. Besides, every time my husband looks at my hairbrush he points that I'm shedding all year round, so it could be worse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home