Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Derby Day at the Track

This past Saturday, my husband's parents were out of town so Todd (my hubby) and I went down to the racetrack in Idaho Falls to watch one of the famly's home-bred Thoroughbreds race. If she won, somebody needed to be there for the winner's circle picture.

The horse is a four-year-old and she was born on Kentucky Derby Day, so she was named Derby Cat. We always just called her Derby. The day she was born, the in-laws were again out of town. They're long haul truckers, so they are usually out of town and Todd and I run their operation as well as our own horses. Todd and I checked the mare in the morning, went home and watched the Derby, went back out to check and there was little Derby. I did a lot of the begining work with her and after a stint with a trainer that didn't work out, Todd and I worked with her as a three-year-old and now she's finally racing.

I don't know how many people out there have connections with racehorses. I know most of the people who are involved have some serious money behind their horses, but at the lower levels there are a lot of people who just have a couple of horses trying to break into the big money races. It's terribly expensive but, WOW! So exciting.

I've been a race fan and watched the Triple Crown races for as long as I can remember, way before I met Todd and his family. I used to name my toy horses after my favorites; I felt like I knew them. But it's an entirely different deal when it is a horse you know. My heart was in my throat for the whole race and I didn't have any feeling of let down at the end when she didn't win. In fact I was thrilled that she got fourth out of ten, because she had a miserable start and had to come from way behind. Heck, as keyed up as I was, if she had won my head probably would have exploded.

Well, anyway, it was fun, I'm definately going to be at the track for future races and I'll let you know if and when Derby wins. I've got my money on the fact that someday soon will truly be Derby's Day!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a lifelong horse owner and recently had the chance to help an author write a book about jockey Earl Sande.

    Earl was born in Groton, SD where my husband and I own the local newspaper. Earl's family moved to American Falls, Idaho in 1905.

    Earl won the 1930 Triple Crown on Gallant Fox. Some of his racing stats still stand as the best ever.

    The book is by author Richard Maturi and named Triple Crown Winner: The Earl Sande Saga.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home