Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Always in Training!

At the present time, I have some time off. From my horses, that is. They're loafing around in my in-law's 10 acre pasture until the snow melts and we can fix up the pasture and fix the fence at our new place. While I'm enjoying the break from tromping out in the cold to feed and clean stalls, I sure miss my guys!

My time is not wasted however, because every year around this time when outside is less than inviting, I work on my game plans for the following year. My thoughts are with my horses even if I'm not. I generally sit down with as many training books and magazines as I can find and decide just what my goals are for each horse, and all the steps I can think of to get them there.

You see, my horses, no matter how old they get, are always in training. There is always more for them to learn, and it just makes them more willing saddle horses in the end, I think. For instance, once Tickles tackled Western, and underwent some barrel racing work, we switched gears. I started riding her English and had begun some jumping excercises when the weather turned.

Not feeling like riding? There are tons of things to do with your horse on the ground. Anyone familiar with Pat Parelli knows about the seven games, but I also find things to do on the longe line, I find new toys to introduce in mini efforts to develop truly 'bomb proof' horses: balloons, boxes, tarps, flags, plasic bags, etc... I'll work on leading and tying manners, backing, and pivoting around obstacles. There's a lot of groundwork that can be done in the yucky weather that would be unsuitable for riding.

So I'm working on my lists for this year and it's actually a treat. In the past years I've also been writing for 2-4 colts that had to be ready for race training, now I can just work with my own two guys. So I'll let you know how it all goes in a few months after I've implemented my ideas for the year.

Of course, one always must allow for adjustment and flexibility; you know what they say about best laid plans!

Please take a moment to visit my sponsors, who help me to keep this blog up and running. Have you ever considered investing in gold and precious metals? You can get current gold price quotes online at Monex Deposit Company, America's premier precious metal dealer.

And remember: Pet ID Tags could save your pet's life! Besides inexpensive pet tags, this site has lots of great pet stories, photos, health tips, and resources for your pet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home