Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Routineless Delivery

Well, it's finally spring. You know, spring showers and Spring Flowers, and for me - mud and shedding animals. But most exciting - new foals! I love the new babies. Sadly, though, this year (since we've moved off the family farm) I missed the birth of the first foal of the year this morning.

For the last few years I was present for the births of the Thoroughbreds and imprinted most of them. I was planning on spending nights out there to help with foal watches, starting in a week or two. Shameless was due in four days, but last year all of the mares were two to three weeks late. Whoever writes all the books about how broodmares will generally follow the same foaling routine year after year needs to read them to the mares.

Last year Shameless was groaning and miserable all day and foaled in the middle of the afternoon, which was very convenient for everybody. This morning, she was fine at 3AM and by 5AM had a baby following her around. So much for imprinting. So much for routine. So much for me being with her.

Well, I vow to be there (or at least try really hard 'cause who knows what these horses will do?) for the rest of the babies this year. I hate to miss it - there's nothing more magical in the springtime.

We're probably sending Tickles back to the farm to act as babysitter, which she loves and mares appreciate once the babies get really active. Tuff would have to go too so he wouldn't be left here alone, and to give my little pasture a needed break.

By the way, Shameless had another stud colt with two white legs on the same side, which seems to be all she knows how to throw. I guess that's one routine she'll stick to.

I'm so excited about spending time with the babies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home