Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Story of Whiz

I found some pictures of my favorite baby (and everyone else's) from 2004. Some are from when he was very little, and some not so little. His registered name is Shameless Mr. E but everyone calls him something different. I heard my mother-in-law use the sarcastic name Whizbang once. I thought it was adorable, so I started calling him that before he was born and to this day I just can't call him anything but Whiz.

He was born six weeks ahead of the other foals that year so his only paymates were Tickles and me. When I wasn't around he would look for her. Tickles always had endless adoration and patience for foals.

Of course, the mares won't let her near at first, so she would follow them around at a respectable distance waiting for a chance to nuzzle the baby. But after a couple of weeks the rambunctious youngsters start to wear on their dams, who then decide to welcome Tickles as a parttime babysitter.

We have video of Whiz walking over to Tickles who is sprawled and sleeping on the ground. He paws at her in the face, which makes her sit up. Then he chews on her ears and forlock until she gets to her feet to play with him, while his mother rests peacefully in the background. Tickles dotingly endured his kicking, biting, rearing, and striking, so that when he finally pooped out, she could nuzzle and nicker at him to her heart's content.

I imprinted him at birth with my husband's help. Whiz was a big strong baby and I worked with him almost daily through his yearling year. My aim is to get these guys ready for race training, which is what they were bred for. However, the general consensus about Whiz is that racing will probably not be his cup of tea. It happens.

Once he outgrew babyhood, Whiz stopped running, fighting, and playing. He lives to stand in one spot and munch hay. He looks over at the others like they're idiots as they run down to the end of the field and just to run back again. He'll do anything for a good scratch, and he follows people around like a giant puppy. He's obedient on a lead and has never thrown a fit at saddling and bridling. Very UN-Thoroughbred-like.

Whiz will likely be a saddle horse for my father-in-law or the kids, and leave the racing to the more ambitious colts.

I hope you enjoy reading this blog as well as I enjoy writing it. My sponsors have helped to make it possible for me to continue to write and cover a few of my horse-related expenses (hay, feed, etc.) so I hope you take just a moment to visit them. You'll enjoy Lussori's elegant gemstone jewelry. What an amazing collection of gemstone rings and stunning necklace designs!

Have you ever considered investing in precious metals? Learn all about precious metals including forecasts and recommendations, how to buy, and current precious metals quotes. Visit Monex for answers to all of your precious metals investment questions.

Accidents happen. We all know that, but sometimes accidents can be avoided, and many accidents should never have happened. Examples might ionclude boating accidents, hit and runs, birth injuries, dog attacks, slip and fall accidents, and medical malpractice. If you have been involved in any type of an accident, contact ny lawyers and learn about your legal rights. Ask for your free case evaluation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home