Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Derby's Day

For those who enjoyed my last post, perhaps you'll be interested to learn that yesterday was Derby's Day. Just one week after her first race she was at the track again and completely blew away her competition. There was only only one point in the race when another horse caught up with her and it was only for a moment, she won by almost six lengths. Somehow I kept my head from exploding with excitement by screaming for her... a lot. Todd's parents were in town for this one but we still got to be in the winner's circle picture. As soon as we get our copy I'll post it.

That 40 seconds pretty much made my week, and now back home everyone is so keyed up about the other Thoroughbreds. Everybody has opinions about how best to get them ready for the track. All of the other homebred foals that have departed were sold for performance and show horses. Derby is now the inpiration behind getting the racing end of the business underway, so all the colts still at home are all lined up for race training. No more jumpers for me, except maybe after they retire from racing. And we're even tossing aroud the idea of training my Tuff to be an outrider and pony our horses out on the track. Who knows what will happen, but next year could be a lot more exciting and busy around here.

However, my first love will always be my paints and our projects. I came home yesterday full of excitement and went out and told Tickles all about it. She doesn't win races or jumping competitions, but she's got good listener; a point that these T-breds will never surpass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home