Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

That Time of Year

Boy, I guess I've taken a break from my blog for a while, haven't I? Well, I've been busy. First of all, the weather suddenly became glorious and I just can't stand to be indoors during the first really nice days in spring.

Tickles and Tuff have shed out beautifully and are looking good. We've been clearing the pasture and planting grass and building and repairing fences. All the Thouroughbred foals have arrived and are healthy. Derby Cat won another race yesterday, it was simulcast but our local track was having satillite problems and we missed it. We did remember to bet on her this time though and made some $$. The second of our horses has his first race next month. Fingers crossed.

And my 6 year old learned how to ride her bike with no training wheels. That was exciting! Though I don't know why, she's been riding her horse with no training wheels since she was 2.

Anyway, I'm so glad that winter is gone again. I'm formulating plans for my horses for this year. I always like to set goals and list steps to get there, I may or may not get there, in fact I usually get side tracked, or off on tangents or find some hidden talent one of them posesses and change direction completely. That's how I got into jumping with Tickles, my plan had been barrel racing, but I just couldn't get her interested. I was messing around with her bareback one day and there was a small cross-rail set up for a horse I was working earlier and popped her over it to test her reaction. Well, suffice to say we decided to go a different direction.

But that's how it goes with horses, with kids, with life! Things don't always turn out the way you plan but they often do turn out.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home