Hold Yer Horses

Ideas and musings by a horse owner. A glimpse at life with horses on a daily basis and some advice and hard learned truths for those traveling and thinking about traveling the Pet Horse road.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Lawn Mowers

Well summer is on the way and with it, fast growing grass and bugs. The bugs aren't too bad this year, we have a small spread that's easy to keep on top of standing water and the like, and this year I've been ordering fly predators- those tiny nocturnal wasps that destroy fly larve. They do a good job and I don't have to do a thing except spread each new batch when they show up in the mail every 6 weeks. I haven't even bought fly spray yet this year.

As for the grass, well, my solution to that is turning the horses out onto the lawn for a few hours a day to eat down the weeds around the house and keep the yard mowed down so my husband doesn't have to do as much. Nice of me huh? Well, for some reason people going up the street shoot off some strange looks, as if they've never seen horses in a yard before. They're kinda just like big dogs aren't they? Granted picking up poop is a slightly bigger task but other wise I don't see the big deal. It's saving me on hay, which can get spendy, they're fenced in after all, and they're very friendly. Here are Tickles and Tuff enjoying the lawn.

Ofcourse since folks have discovered this last fact, there have been increasing numbers of families out for an evening stroll that stop by to visit our yard pets. Many times they come bearing treats. I swear, I was just starting to get somewhere with Tickles's diet and now she's getting rolly polly again. Not nearly as bad as last year, but I'm going to have to watch her. I certainly don't want to tarnish neighborhood goodwill by rejecting their offerings.

Anyway, my next big project is baths with mane and tail shampoos which is always a long, wet, dirty process the results of witch last about 3 minutes until they can find a filthy place to roll. Why do I bother? Because I'm a horse owner, which makes me not only a glutten for punishment but a sucker for lost causes and a genius for finding the hardest ways to accomplish things.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We love your blog! Last summer we noticed that a dad and his young daughter were stopping by our pasture more and more often to pet the horses and give them a carrot or two. They became real friends to the horses and us too. We're always happy when someone besides us seems to enjoy our horses.

     
  • At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its very intresting with nice post ,,thanks


    ___________________
    victor
    More Movies More Fun & Entertainment

     

Post a Comment

<< Home